Take care of yourself now.Published April 9, 2020
We all know that it is important to take care of ourselves. We are hearing a lot of information right now about handwashing, social distancing and pandemic tragedies. For some, this kind of information heightens stress and increases panic. If we were already experiencing turmoil and upset in our lives before Covid19, we may be having a tough time tolerating the present circumstances. But, in these circumstances, it is critical that we practice good self-care. Why? Good self-care helps us function, manage daily life (including the “new” normal) and the obstacles along our path (and we certainly may have some obstacles right now).
Here are some self-care tips:
- Move your body each day. Take a walk. Stretch. Workout virtually. Many fitness facilities and personal trainers are offering online programs right now.
- Be mindful of your eating. Overeating or eating junk has no long-term reward.
- Cut yourself some slack. Repeat.
- Connect with friends daily by phone, videoconferencing or text.
- Listen to music – upbeat songs that make you smile and want to sing.
- Make sleep a priority.
- Journal. Write out affirmations for yourself. Set a daily intention.
- Laugh more. Watch funny movies. Seek comic relief whenever you can.
In closing, do not minimize the importance of self-care. We are all experiencing upheaval in various ways right now. Taking care of yourself will allow you to better tend to your own life and help others along the way. Kindness matters and it starts with practicing on yourself.
For more self-care tips and incredibly useful information, check out my book, Divorce Wisdom. It’s available on Amazon.